Friday, October 16, 2009
Sometimes Life is Just....
This week has been a hard week for me personally, academically, mentally and physically. Monday evening I began to get sick just as my roommate had the previous week before, and it lasted all of Tuesday and has lingered on since. It seems as though everyone is sick, and by no means am I trying to exaggerate this. It frustrates me because, mentally you’re beat down cause all you want to do is curl up and go to sleep but you know that in reality if you don’t make it to class you’re instantly behind what seems like eons. Not to rant and rave but the college system for being sick seemingly sucks. If you miss a certain number of days from a specific class (which unfortunately the number of days you’re allotted to be absent varies from class to class, another thing to keep track of and stress over) you fail, no ifs, ands, ors or buts. It’s even been said on the news that schools have an average of about 20% of students missing due to sickness or something close to that without actually looking up the facts. One sick day for me meant messing up my whole week. However though, I managed to make it to all my classes everyday. Getting back on track for what I’m supposed to be doing for this blog, on Monday Ms. Neubauer’s father-in-law came into class to talk about his experiences in Sierra Leone. I found his presentation to be very interesting, because it was a different view from the book as well as our own view on Sierra Leone as outsiders. Even though he isn’t a part of their culture it was intriguing to observe a first hand experience there in that country not from a native’s view. On Wednesday we had our Beah presentation which we were asked a very interesting question, which was to talk about a present we had been given that meant something special to us. I choose an umbrella and related it back my disability. On Friday we caught people who needed to be caught up and evaluated what we think our standing is in the class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad you're feeling better Joelle. You're right, being sick in college is no fun because of the whole attendance thing. It is part of the transition to the "real world" of having to decide what calling off work might mean to your career.
ReplyDelete